Recipe: Sugar-free Cheesecake with Raspberry Compote
When you have something rich like a cream cheese-based dessert, you'll most probably want something tart to cut the taste and richness. That's why I opted for a compote (whole fruits simmered in a syrup), a raspberry one. You can definitely just eat this cheesecake plain - it will still hit your craving spot. (Side note - I could definitely eat a Junior's original cheesecake on its own... with no added topping and NO help whatsoever. Now I want one! Do they deliver???)
1 cup almond flour
2 Tbsp Stevia (or any other sweetener or sugar replacement)
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted, melted
For the cheesecake:
2 cream cheese bars (16 oz total, softened)
1/2 cup Stevia (or any other sweetener or sugar replacement)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (you can replace this with sour cream but not buttermilk, you want the structure of the yogurt or the sour cream)
2 eggs, large, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the raspberry compote:
1 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Stevia (or any other sweetener or sugar replacement)
1. Preheat your oven to 350℉. (If you decided to use a springform pan, line the sides with parchment paper so it's easier to peel off later. You can do that now.)
2. To make the almond shortbread - In a bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. In the same bowl, add the almond flour and sugar replacement and mix all together. Transfer to the baking dish and fresh firmly to the bottom. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let this cool completely. Lower the temperature to 300℉.
3. To make the cheesecake batter - In a large bowl and using your hand mixer set to medium, beat the cream cheese and Stevia until light and fluffy. Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla, and continue to mix until no more lumps. Add one egg at a time. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl while mixing so everything is well-incorporated.
4. Transfer the batter to the shortbread crust and tap the dish lightly on the counter just so the batter settles at the bottom and it removes the air bubbles. Place this in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Once done, let this cool at room temperature for about 1 hour and chill for another 2 hours to set.
5. To make the raspberry compote - In a saucepan, combine the frozen raspberries, Stevia, and water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a slow simmer and stir to make sure there are no lumps. Once this thickens, turn off the heat and let this cool completely. Optional: you can let this blitz in the blender for a finer consistency, almost like a coulis (a thin fruit- or vegetable-based sauce that's pureed or strained). Store this in the chiller.
6. Once the cheesecake has completely cooled, you have two options.... (1) spread an even layer of the compote on top of the whole cheesecake; or (2) generously layer a spoonful of the compote on each slice as you serve.
*When making a compote, you can definitely choose any other fruit like peaches, mangoes, blueberries, etc. I just prefer raspberries and honestly.... it's because I found I had these in my freezer. So go ahead and make your own version and go nuts!
**Since this is a sugar-free version (low-carb and even keto-friendly), you can convert this to a regular cheesecake. Just replace the sweetener with regular granulated sugar for all components - shortbread crust, cheesecake batter, and the compote.
***Another version of this cheesecake on a regular sugar level, you can add melted white chocolate while beating the batter right before you add the yogurt or sour cream. You can add about 1/2 melted white chocolate and you'll have a much richer, a silkier end product. You can also serve this with a a caramel topping - now this will be super decadent. Make a salted caramel topping too while you're at it! Actually, grill some peaches, layer on top, then drizzle some salted caramel and even toast some walnuts on top!!! Dear gosh! I've created an avalanche of flavours just thinking and typing! SOMEONE STOP ME!!!
#donyaluzee #food #recipe #creamcheese #cheesecake #sugarfree #keto #lowcarb #raspberry #compote #coulis #fruitsauce #shortbread #shortbreadcrust #almostcrust #almondshortbread #almondshortbreadcrust #dessert #cravingsatisfied