Recipe: Hainanese Chicken Rice (Instant Pot)
Hainanese Chicken Rice (Instant Pot)
This can definitely feed around 5-6 people. You can increase the rice to 4 cups to feed 6.
You'll need your Instant Pot (or a pot and rice cooker - see below for that option), the wire rack insert, a couple of bowls, a knife, chopping board, a pair of tongs, and a multi-cup measuring cup (like the Pyrex glass one).
For the Hainanese Chicken
5 cloves garlic
5-8 chicken quarters OR boneless chicken thighs
3 ounces ginger slices
3-4 green onions, sliced in large sections
For the Chicken Rice
3 cups washed jasmine rice
3 cups liquid (use the reserved broth)
For the Condiments
an English cucumber, sliced thinly on the diagonal
1. Salt the chicken and rub on the skin. Use the rack and place inside the main pot. Pour the water and layer the chicken and vegetables.
2. On pressure cooker mode, set it on high for 15 minutes. Do a quick release when it's done.
4. Remove the rack and discard the remaining green onions, garlic, and ginger slices.Transfer the broth to a measuring cup and set aside. Skim the fat off (if there's a lot).
5. To cook the rice, using the same inner pot, transfer the washed rice here. Set your Instant Pot to low pressure cooker for 4 mins. Do a natural release. Fluff the rice when it's done.
a. Ginger Sauce - Mix the green onion and equal parts ginger in a bowl; this should make around ¼ cup total and add ½ tsp salt. Heat up some vegetable oil and pour over the ginger mixture. Mix and set aside.
c. Soy Glaze and Sauce - Mix the 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp reserve broth. Brush on the sliced chicken. For the rest of the sauce, add 2 tsp oyster sauce to serve with each serving.
In case you don't have an Instant Pot, you can use a POT AND RICE COOKER
- 1. Layer chicken and vegetables in a pot and cover with water. Simmer on low for 1 hour. Discard the vegetables, put the chicken in an ice bath, and reserve the stock liquid. Debone and slice chicken once cooled.
- 2. Using the same pot or a rice cooker, measure your rice and liquid and cook until done (around 15-20 mins).